Scammers use words and local phone numbers to mimic people and places that you trust, like your credit union. That’s called spoofing.
If you answer a call and it is not what you are expecting, hang up. The scammers are trying to steal your money or valuable personal information. To verify if Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union is contacting you, call us at (218) 829-0371.
To protect yourself, follow these tips from the Federal Trade Commission:
- Don't answer calls from unknown numbers. If you answer and it’s not who you expected, hang up.
- If a caller asks you to hit a button to stop getting calls, just hang up.
- Never assume an unexpected call is legitimate. Hang up and call back using a number you can verify on a bill, a statement, or an official website. Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union’s phone number is (218) 829-0371.
- Be suspicious. Con artists can be very convincing: They may ask questions, or sound threatening, or sometimes seem too good to be true.
- Don’t give out personal information – account numbers, Social Security numbers or passwords – or answer security questions. MMFCU will never ask for your account number if we call you. We will not ask for any personal information via telephone or email that you, the member, has not initiated.
- Use extreme caution if you are being pressured for immediate payment.
- Use blocking tools in your phone, from your phone company or an App, see resources the Federal Trade Commission recommends.
- Report spoofing scams to law enforcement, the Federal Communications Commission and the FTC.
Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union takes your personal financial security very seriously. Please remember, do not provide account information over the phone or click on links included in emails or texts you were not expecting. If you are unsure if a phone call, email or text is legitimate, call us at (218) 829-0371.