Whether you’re a recent college graduate entering the workforce for the first time, or an experienced professional looking for something new; there is much to consider when searching for a job, creating a resumé that stands out, interviewing for a job, and even negotiating a salary. Monster.com offers up a few great tips and tricks to help you get out there and get noticed!
Who are you?
Resumés normally get less than a 15-second glance at the first screening. Submitting the same resumé for every position can't possibly meet each employer's individual requirements. If you want to grab the hiring managers' attention, you need to give them what they want. Take the time to tailor your resumé to each employer and its goals to strengthen your chance of getting noticed.
What do you know?
In the current job market, you'd better have your act together, or you won't stand a chance against the competition. Check yourself on these 10 basic points before you go on that all-important interview.
- Do Your Research - Researching the company before the interview and learning as much as possible about its services, products, customers and competition will give you an edge in understanding and addressing the company's needs.
- Look Sharp - Depending on the industry and position, get out your best interview clothes and check them over for spots and wrinkles. Above all, dress for confidence. If you feel good, others will respond to you accordingly.
- Be Prepared - Bring along a folder containing extra copies of your resumé, a copy of your references and paper to take notes. You should also have questions prepared to ask at the end of the interview.
- Be on Time - Never arrive late to an interview. Allow extra time to arrive early, allowing for factors like getting lost and traffic. Enter the building 10 to 15 minutes before the interview.
- Show Enthusiasm - A firm handshake and plenty of eye contact demonstrate confidence. Speak distinctly in a confident voice, even though you may feel shaky.
- Listen - One of the most neglected interview skills is listening. Make sure you are not only listening, but also reading between the lines. Sometimes what is not said is just as important as what is said.
- Answer the Question Asked - Make sure you understand what is being asked, and get further clarification if you are unsure.
- Give Specific Examples - One specific example of your background is worth 50 vague stories. Prepare your stories before the interview. Give examples that highlight your successes and uniqueness. Your past behavior can indicate your future performance.
- Ask Questions - Many interviewees don't ask questions and miss the opportunity to find out valuable information. The questions you ask indicate your interest in the company or job.
- Follow Up - Whether it's through email or regular mail, the interview follow-up is one more chance to remind the interviewer of all the valuable traits you bring to the job and company. Don't miss this last chance to market yourself.
MMFCU - Building Careers. Expanding Possibilities.
Do you take personal responsibility, operate with integrity, appreciate a sense of community, and are a team player? You may be just who we are looking for!
MMFCU offers a positive team environment with opportunities for growth and advancement. View current career opportunities here - MMFCU careers.
MMFCU Services and Solutions
We offer a wide and well-rounded menu of services for members of every age and lifestyle. Contact Investment Services to learn about 401(k), IRA and other wealth management options. Learn More >
Our independent agent works with multiple insurance companies, all vying for your business; and because of this - you benefit. Learn More >
Stay on top of rising health care costs with our health savings account. Pay your medical expenses with tax-free HSA distributions or save for future needs. Learn more about HSAs and if you are eligible by visiting with Member Services at your local branch. Learn More >
Highly personalized options to serve your specific needs. Learn More >
- Simply Checking
- Money Market Checking/Savings
- Savings/Share Certificates
- Free Direct Deposit